1st Days Play - Thoughts ?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tart Man
Crocodile Dundee

Aruba
2947 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  08:02:34  Show Profile  Click to see Tart Man's MSN Messenger address
The scoreboard shows England taking a bit of a hammering without much return.

Sky Sports are saying that we've not played badly, but that we're bowling on a very good batting wicket.

With the apparent turn in the pitch, we're England right to select Giles ahead of Panesar?

And......... has anyone spotted the shrimps flag yet?

"Tart Man - The King of Newbury"

Scrooge McDuck
Crocodile Dundee

6240 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  10:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Scrooge McDuck's Homepage
In summary,

1) Only Flintoff looked dangerous. They were very comfortable against the rest. We need at least one other bowler to raise their game if we are to have any chance.

2) I'm a Monty man, think we need something different in our bowling attack that he would have provided. Our batting line-up is, for once, strong enough not to worry about how long the tail is.

3) They are being complete arseholes and not letting in bags to the ground (other than small carrier bags). Plus there is nowhere in the ground suitable for a 15 foot by 9 flag. So the flag will only be on display in our apartments from now on, unfortunately.
Go to Top of Page

Tart Man
Crocodile Dundee

Aruba
2947 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  10:11:20  Show Profile  Click to see Tart Man's MSN Messenger address
re: 3

If they aren't letting bags into the ground then don't take the flag in a bag - either carry it under your arm or hide it up your jumper...

Go on Scrooge - Operation Flag !!

Go to Top of Page

Scrooge McDuck
Crocodile Dundee

6240 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  10:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Scrooge McDuck's Homepage
You appear to have missed the second part of my response in no. 3. There's nowhere in the ground to hang it!
Go to Top of Page

Potter
Dame Edna

Myanmar (Burma)
4218 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  10:40:51  Show Profile
Can you take any of your own alcohol in?

Go to Top of Page

Potter
Dame Edna

Myanmar (Burma)
4218 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  10:50:00  Show Profile
Hard game to judge until we have had a bat. Need to get Harmison's confidence up, thought Fred and Hoggard bowled well early on, shame we didnt have Simon Jones to turn to.

Go to Top of Page

Memories Of India
Jason Donovan

Wallis and Futuna Islands
128 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  12:51:52  Show Profile
Or Panesar.

Scrooge - flag nightmares aside, what was the atmosphere like? Were you amongst a group of fellow English fans? And how does the stadium compare to any of the English ones?
Go to Top of Page

On the Pool Table
Dame Edna

Portugal
2802 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  13:02:32  Show Profile
It does look a good batting wicket.

I was also in favour of monty playing. But in fairness to Giles I think he looked pretty decent form what I saw (The last session). Pietersen also looked to be a much better bowler than had been previously thought.

I have not seen any of Harmison's bowling so far (Will see the highlights tonight) but I am concerned that Flintoff did not turn to him with the new bowl.

Thought Anderson bowled well, considering his recent lack of cricket, altho his tendency to bowl the odd bad ball meant he was expensive. Can't get away with that on this kind of wicket. However it did seem that him and Hoggard were getting some swing with the new ball just before the close which is encouraging for tomorrow.

All in all, not the greatest of starts, but the toss played a major factor in that, and if we had won it then we could be sat here now in the same position as Australia are.

Edited by - On the Pool Table on 23/11/2006 14:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Vanders
Waltzing Matilda

695 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  14:01:50  Show Profile
A touch of de ja vu from 4 years ago here

Aussies were 267-2 at close of play on day one after Nasser won the toss and put them in !!

Unlike 4 years ago though it looks like this track is dead and looks loke it will last 4 days without breaking up too much.

England should make runs when they bat but the presure of making 300+ to avoid the follow on may be too much for them ??

Having watched more or less all of last nights play I thought that our bowling was too poor. Harmy and Anderson completely lost their line and direction with Harmy only bowling 12 out of the 90 overs.

KP was turning it sideways which still begs the question on why Monty isn't bowling (although I do agree that Gilo bowled well)

Hoping for a better days play on day 2 with some early wickets with the new ball

Go to Top of Page

Tart Man
Crocodile Dundee

Aruba
2947 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Click to see Tart Man's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Scrooge McDuck

You appear to have missed the second part of my response in no. 3. There's nowhere in the ground to hang it!

Hang it from Edgy's arms....!

Go to Top of Page

Scrooge McDuck
Crocodile Dundee

6240 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  22:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Scrooge McDuck's Homepage
The ground is very nice - unlike English grounds which tend to be a mixture of stands in different shapes & sizes, The Gabba is all-in-one - 3 tiers all the way around.

The atmosphere was good. The English fans were very spread out, but I reckon we had 15-20% of the total crowd so we made a racket. Not a great deal of singing, but just a general buzz and quite a bit of banter.

I agree with Andover on the bowling - Harmison and Anderson bowled far too many bad deliveries - Anderson in particular drifted down leg too often which made it all too easy for them.
Go to Top of Page

Woody
Jason Donovan

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  00:00:47  Show Profile
My take on day 1

First ball of the day bowled and I instantly thought this aint going to be our day.

Only Freddie turned up with the ball today the other 3 quicks threw in the occasional good delivery but there was far to many 4 balls which the Aussies took advantage of.

All the England fans were spread around the ground but there was a good turn out although the atmosphere never got going compared to other games.

Looks like a long and hard 4 days to come where we will have to bat like demons.

quote:
Originally posted by Tart Man

The scoreboard shows England taking a bit of a hammering without much return.

Sky Sports are saying that we've not played badly, but that we're bowling on a very good batting wicket.

With the apparent turn in the pitch, we're England right to select Giles ahead of Panesar?

And......... has anyone spotted the shrimps flag yet?

Nottingham boy exiled in Brisbane!
Go to Top of Page

Potter
Dame Edna

Myanmar (Burma)
4218 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  09:39:33  Show Profile
2nd day didnt get any better, still we have Jones and Giles to come in and as they were picked for their batting ability we should reach the 403 follow mark

Go to Top of Page

Bob the Builder
Dame Edna

Saint Pierre and Miquelon
4901 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  10:02:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Potter

2nd day didnt get any better, still we have Jones and Giles to come in and as they were picked for their batting ability we should reach the 403 follow mark

LOL!!!

Go to Top of Page

Potter
Dame Edna

Myanmar (Burma)
4218 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  10:23:43  Show Profile
One positive for the day, Gilchrist got a duck

Go to Top of Page

Bob the Builder
Dame Edna

Saint Pierre and Miquelon
4901 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2006 :  10:58:15  Show Profile
Yeah that really made my day, just gonna have to be hammered for every days cricket between now and sydney.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Shrimps On The Barby © shrimpsonthebarby.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000